Want to work with us?
A unique opportunity to join a small team with a big mission
Start Date – Immediate
£11.50 – £14.00 ph
Based in Leicester
The Roving Bookshop has a national reputation for its carefully selected stock of children’s books. Our eventers travel all over the country from our Leicester base, providing primary children with a unique opportunity to experience a full size bookshop in their own school packed with only the very best books. We also service conferences and other training events for teachers.
You’ll be part of a close-knit team who all work to support each other. Term time is very busy particularly around world book day in February and March but whether you have family commitments, are studying or have other interests, we are small enough to make sure our schedules are agreed with you in advance so you can get the most out of your days off and the main school holidays can be completely work free.
If you love keeping busy and want to do a job that matters, find out more below and apply for something completely different with Roving Books. Once your application has been reviewed if it matches to the requirements of the role someone from the recruitment team will get in touch to chat about your application.
The process will include a telephone interview and face-to-face selection event. We look forward to receiving your application form.
- Ensuring the correct cases of books are loaded into the van together with stock to replenish the cases from previous sales events.
- Ensuring sales accessories e.g. paper bags, card machine till tolls etc. are fully stocked.
- Transport books to and from event venue
- Unload and erect the displays for the bookshop
- Introduce each class as they visit the bookshop
- Take payments, checking each book bought is suitable for the child buying it
- Take down displays
Full training, including assisting at real events will be provided
- The fitness and strength to handle the rigours of loading and unloading 3000+ books in up to 54 display cases
- The flexibility to start early and finish late on the day of the event including overnight stays for long distance events
- The flexibility to work extra events during school terms
- The ability to react positively to different environments and the initiative to identify the best way to set-up the displays in the space available
- To be over 25 year old and with a clean driving licence
- A friendly communication style with teachers and children
- An interest in and knowledge of children’s books – training will be given
- A familiarity with computers for Point of Sale – training will be given
- We’re proud to have a culture and salary structure that promotes both the equality of opportunity, and pay.
- We offer an industry competitive hourly rate, with 30 days’ holiday per year (pro rata).
- Other benefits include pension scheme, 25% in store discount and company paid hotel and meals allowances.
- Option to contract to an average of 1, 2 or 2 ½ events per week equivalent to an average working week of 15, 30 or 37.5 hours
- Fixed monthly salary and paid overtime
- Overtime hours worked can be taken as time in lieu and used to provide extended time off during school holidays.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest or download an application form.
- Please note your employment is conditional upon the Company’s receipt of satisfactory references and if requested by the Company, a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check. We are committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people within education.
- We have a policy, as a matter of courtesy, to respond to all applications within five working days. However, because of the volume of applications, we are sometimes unable to reply to individual enquiries.
- If we have not contacted you within this specified time your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion, we encourage you to please apply for any other position that you may see in the future.
- Thank you for looking.
See how a Bookselling Eventer transforms the school hall
What Our Customers Say
Thanks many times to
who attend my bookings all over the country with a huge display of nearly all my titles so at a conference people buy both my children’s and adult books: Bear Hunt, Zola,Uncle Gobb, Good Ideas etc etc
Thank you to
for providing the most wonderful start to our book week and to
for making it possible for every child in the school to use their world book day
Warren Road Primary
Thanks for your sterling work flogging my books at Rushey Mead Academy today.
Very much appreciated.
Thank you to @RovingBookshop
for putting on a wonderful spread today! The children at
loved buying their books and the buzz around school was fantastic-some were even reading them in the line at the end of the day! #RFP
If you need a bookshop for a conference, or in school, then contact Rob @robmcaulay
and the wonderful Roving Bookshop.
The amazing Roving Book Shop here today at #TTTaT Cornwall.
The best book shop in town!
Can you spot Rob?
I just wanted to thank you for making our Roving Bookshop today a huge success.
From the initial set up this morning by Mike Eastwood, and then throughout the day we, on behalf of all the staff here at Wingrave C of E School, just wanted to say a huge thank you. Mike was truly wonderful with all the children and staff and did such a great job. Thank you Mike.
It was such a wonderful day for the children and the BEST bookshop which we have ever had at our school. The children were excited to be-able to buy a book and take it home in their little gift bags. We were so impressed with the whole organisation of the Bookshop and will definitely be booking another date for this amazing shop for the children and we’ll highly be recommending the Roving Bookshop to other colleagues and schools.
Many thanks again for bringing a real buzz to Wingrave.
Mrs Beth Brown
Just wanted to say how much we enjoyed having Mike here yesterday with your fantastic selection of books. Praise from everyone – children, parents and teachers.
I will be in contact after half term to hopefully book a date for the summer term and for next academic year.
It was absolutely brilliant and totally surpassed my expectations. The kids loved it, parents enjoyed the choice and teachers were amazed at the quality of the texts. I genuinely feel that today a love of reading was sparked.
Your sales person Mike was also excellent: he was enthusiastic and knowledgable and had some great reccomendations. I could go on and on with this complimentary tone…a big thanks.
We have booked for next year and will see you then. Until then, keep up the great work.