Want to work with us?
Driver/Sales Assistant – Mobile In-School Bookshop
A unique opportunity to join a small team with a big mission
Start Date – Immediate
£22 – £27K pa. Full/Part Time
Based in Leicester
The Roving Bookshop has a national reputation for its carefully curated stock of children’s books. Travelling all over the country from our Leicester base, we provide primary children with a unique opportunity to experience a full size bookshop in their own school packed with only the very best books.
We also provide specialist bookselling at author performances, conferences and other training events for teachers.
You will need to be confident and resourceful to handle each venue single-handedly – driving, unloading and erecting the Bookshop, then interacting with teachers and children and selling books throughout the day.
You may opt for a full or part time salaried contract but will need to be flexible. Term time is very busy particularly around world book day in February and March when you could be working every day. Other weeks you may be completely free.
Whether you have family commitments or have other interests, we are small enough to make sure our schedules are agreed with you in advance so you can get the most out of your days off and the main school holidays can be completely work free.
If you love keeping busy and want to do a job that matters, find out more below and apply for something completely different with Roving Books.
We look forward to receiving your application.
- Ensuring the correct cases of books are loaded into the van together with stock to replenish the cases from previous sales events.
- Ensuring sales accessories e.g. paper bags, card machine till tolls etc. are fully stocked.
- Transport books to and from event venue
- Unload and erect the displays for the bookshop
- Introduce each class as they visit the bookshop
- Take payments, checking each book bought is suitable for the child buying it
- Take down displays
Full training, including assisting at real events will be provided
- The ability to load and unload 3000+ books in up to 54 display cases
- The flexibility to start early and finish late on the day of the event including overnight stays for long distance events
- The flexibility to work extra events during school term time
- The ability to react positively to different environments and the initiative to identify the best way to set-up the displays in the space available
- Have a clean driving licence
- A friendly communication style with teachers and children
- An interest in and knowledge of children’s books – training will be given
- A familiarity with computers for Point of Sale – training will be given
- We’re proud to have a culture and salary structure that promotes both the equality of opportunity, and pay.
- We offer an industry competitive hourly rate, with 30 days’ holiday per year (pro rata).
- Other benefits include pension scheme, 25% in store discount and company paid hotel and meals allowances.
- Option to contract to an average of 1, 2 or 2 ½ events per week equivalent to an average working week of 15, 30 or 37.5 hours
- Fixed monthly salary and paid overtime
- Overtime hours worked can be taken as time in lieu and used to provide extended time off during school holidays.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest together with your CV.
- Please note your employment is conditional upon the Company’s receipt of satisfactory references and if requested by the Company, a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check. We are committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people within education.
- We have a policy, as a matter of courtesy, to respond to all applications within five working days.
- Thank you for looking.
See the job in action
What Our Customers Say
Thanks, Roving Bookshop, the great peripatetic provider of passion and pathos.
Thanks many times to
who attend my bookings all over the country with a huge display of nearly all my titles so at a conference people buy both my children’s and adult books: Bear Hunt, Zola,Uncle Gobb, Good Ideas etc etc
Thank you to
for providing the most wonderful start to our book week and to
for making it possible for every child in the school to use their world book day
Warren Road Primary
Thanks for your sterling work flogging my books at Rushey Mead Academy today.
Very much appreciated.
Thank you to @RovingBookshop
for putting on a wonderful spread today! The children at
loved buying their books and the buzz around school was fantastic-some were even reading them in the line at the end of the day! #RFP
If you need a bookshop for a conference, or in school, then contact Rob @robmcaulay
and the wonderful Roving Bookshop.
The amazing Roving Book Shop here today at #TTTaT Cornwall.
The best book shop in town!
Can you spot Rob?
I just wanted to thank you for making our Roving Bookshop today a huge success.
From the initial set up this morning by Mike Eastwood, and then throughout the day we, on behalf of all the staff here at Wingrave C of E School, just wanted to say a huge thank you. Mike was truly wonderful with all the children and staff and did such a great job. Thank you Mike.
It was such a wonderful day for the children and the BEST bookshop which we have ever had at our school. The children were excited to be-able to buy a book and take it home in their little gift bags. We were so impressed with the whole organisation of the Bookshop and will definitely be booking another date for this amazing shop for the children and we’ll highly be recommending the Roving Bookshop to other colleagues and schools.
Many thanks again for bringing a real buzz to Wingrave.
Mrs Beth Brown
Just wanted to say how much we enjoyed having Mike here yesterday with your fantastic selection of books. Praise from everyone – children, parents and teachers.
I will be in contact after half term to hopefully book a date for the summer term and for next academic year.